- "Do you swear to serve Edge Scholarship, both Earth and Sky, for the good of all? - With my heart and my head, I do."
Librarian Knights elects were chosen by the Council of Three. They were chosen for their intelligence, their abilities to fight, their curiosity and hunger for knowlegde.
Journey to the Freeglades
Before the Librarians moved from Undertown to the Free Glades, Librarian Knights-elect had to make a long and treacherous journey through Undertown, the Mire, the Eastern Roost, and some of the wilder areas of the Deepwoods, identifying allies by a special Bloodoak tooth pendant.
- Tegan helped them through the tollgate tally-huts and onto the Great Mire Road
- Partifule accompanied them on the Great Mire Road
- Hekkle accompanied them on the journey through the Deepwoods
Education and Training
Building a skycraft
Every librarian knight had to built his or her own skycraft. The Woodtroll Oakley Gruffbark taught them how to make the prows of their skycraft. However, he said that the inspiration for the form of the skycraft should come from the timber itself and should not be forced upon it.
In the Gardens of Light the young librarians had to produce the varnish invented by Tweezel that gave the skycraft the ability to fly. First, the librarian knight squires had to milk slime-moles for mole-glue and then cook it. According to Tweezel, it took most of the librarian knights more than fifty attempts and several months to get the varnish right.
The famous librarian knight Varis Lodd was advising the librarian knights-to-be in the sign language used by the knights to communicate and the flying skills.
The Naming Rite
- "By Earth and Sky, you name shall be Stormhornet. Together, we shall set forth into the Deepwoods and return with a treatise entitled An Eyewittness Account of the Mythical Great Convocation of Banderbears. This we pledge to do, or perish in the attempt."
Because of the small size of the skycraft, librarian knights had to transport many things close to them. They wore a green leather suit with bronze armour plates.Things attached to the suit:
- An axe
- A rope
- Water bottles
- A compass
- A knife
- A sword or other weapon
- Flying goggles
- A crossbow
- Sky Crystals
- The Cover of Darkness made from spidersilk
The skycraft contained:
- Equipment for smaller repairs
- Cooking equipment
Librarian Knights in the Third Age of Flight
In the Third Age of Flight, there were still librarian knights like Zelphyius Dax. Their skycraft, although faster, were not common anymore and replaced by Phraxships and the Lake Landing Academy was turned into a museum. However, there were still some who longed for the purer life of the Second Age of Flight.
Known Librarian Knights
- Fenbrus Lodd
- Treatise: On the Husbandry of Prowlgrins
- Magda Burlix
- Rook Barkwater
- Skycraft: The Stormhornet
- Treatise: An Eyewittness Account of the Mythical Great Convocation of Banderbears
- Stob Lummus
- Tallus Penitax
- Ulbus Vespius
- Varis Lodd
- Skycraft: The Windhawk
- Treatise: A Study of Banderbears' Behaviour in Their Natural Habitat
- Xanth Filatine
- Skycraft: The Ratbird
- Treatise: A Witnessing of the Hatching of a Caterbird from its Cocoon
- Zelphyius Dax (Third Age of Flight)
- Skycraft: The Varis Lodd